Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wearing hijab for the first time

Wearing hijab for the first time

A Sister's Story of How She First Started Wearing Hijaab

This is my "story" of how I started wearing hijaab. Even though I was born into a Muslim family, I was very ignorant about my religion. I didn't really know that women ever had to wear hijaab. After I started practicing the religion and studying more about Islam I soon found out about the obligation of hijaab. At first, I was very worried about what people would think if I suddenly started wearing a scarf on my head. I kept on making du'aa for Allah to help me to wear the hijaab. Then slowly I realized that what other people thought didn't matter, and what really mattered was what Allah thought of me. At the age of 20, I started wearing the head scarf. At first people were a little shocked, but that soon died down. After wearing hijaab, I felt more comfortable with the other Muslim women in the community, masha'Allah. I quickly began making more friends and adjusting into a community of righteous Allah-fearing women masha'Allah. At first, I started with just wearing a head scarf. I thought that I would get major respect from men because of it, but I soon realized the head scarf alone was not enough to deter men. I was sitting down somewhere with the scarf on and a guy started talking to me. I was a little shocked and puzzled. I thought, doesn't he see I'm wearing a head scarf and that I don't want to be bothered by him. It was obvious that the head scarf had no effect on him.

As I learned more about Islam, I found out that women should also wear a jilbaab (an outer covering that is larger than the khimar that flows down from the head). I soon started wearing the jilbaab over my khimar (head scarf). This is the point when I started to feel like a beautiful protected gem enclosed in my covering. I guess you could think of it like a pearl enclosed in its oyster shell. I was no longer amongst the crowds of women who are subject to the lustful glances of men and are thus stationed at a very demeaning position. On the contrary, I had become a woman of respect, masha'Allah. Covering yourself properly makes you feel so good masha'Allah (by Allah's permission). Alhamdulilah (all praise is due to Allah), Allah is the Most Wise. There is so much benefit in following His commands masha'Allah. Allahu Akbar! (Allah is the Most Great).

No comments: